Today we’ll look at some advanced grammar that is… pretty similar to something we’ve already covered! Let’s just straight on in and find out what -(으)ㄹ뿐더러 means and how it is used.
(NOTE: This grammar is largely a written form and you are unlikely to hear anyone actually use it in normal day-to-day speech, though it can crop up in more formal speech.)
-(으)ㄹ뿐더러 is used when you want to add something in the following clause on top of or in addition to what you already said in the first clause. We already saw this kind of meaning with the first usage of the grammar form -거니와. We can translate it as “Not only… but also…” or “In addition to…”.
In addition to -거니와, we can also replace this grammar form with “-(을) 뿐만 아니라” (for the “Not only… but also” meaning) and “-(으)ㄴ/는데다가” or “N-에다가” (for the “In addition to…” meaning).
This grammar can be used with action verbs, descriptive verbs, and nouns in the past and present tenses. If the preceding clause is positive, the following clause must be positive. Similarly, if the preceding clause is negative, so must be the following clause.
- 규민 씨는 운동을 열심히 했을뿐더러 건강식만을 먹어서 살을 많이 뺄 수 있었어요. (Kyumin not only exercised hard but also ate only healthy foods, so he was able to lose a lot of weight.)
- 소민 씨는 그 책을 한 백번이나 읽었을뿐더러그 소설 원작의 영화도 15번 이상 봐서 대화를 다 외울수 있었어요. (In addition to having read that book about 100 times Somin also watched the movie based on it fifteen times, so she was able to memorize all the dialogue.
- 요즘 책도 많이 읽을뿐더러 교육 방송도 많이 봐서 이것저것을 많이 배우는 것 같아요. (Lately I not only read a lot of books but also watch educational programs, so it seems like I’m learning a lot of this and that.)
- 우리 남동생은 잠을 정말 깊히 잘뿐더러 길게 잘 수 있어서 어떨 때 동생의 잠 자는 모습은 거의 죽은 사람 같아요. (My younger brother not only sleeps very deeply but also can sleep for a long time so sometimes, he seems almost like a dead person when he’s asleep.)
- 그 사람은 상냥했을뿐더러 잘 생기기도 해서 거의 첫 눈에 반했어요. (Because that person was not only kind but also good-looking I almost immediately fell for him.)
- 지난 번에 갔을 때 그 집 음식이맛있었을뿐더러값도 싸서 친구들이랑 다시 가려고 해요.(The last time I went there that’s place’s food was not only delicious but also cheap, so I plan to go again with my friends.)
- 그 도시는 공기도 별로 안 좋을뿐더러 할 것도 거의 없는데 도대체 왜 거기서 살고 싶어요? (That city not only has bad air but also has next to nothing to do so why on earth do you want to live there?)
- 이 주변은 주차비도 비쌀뿐더러 교통도 너무 복잡해서 차를 사는 것보다 대중교통을 이용하는 게 나아요. (This area not only has expensive parking fees but also has bad traffic so using public transportation is better than buying a car.)
- 옛날에저 분은 배우였을뿐더러 유명한 가수였어요. (Back in the day, that person was not only an actor but also a famous singer.
- 거기 있었던 건물은 감옥이었을뿐더러 공장이었어요. (The building that used to be here was not only a prison but also a factory.)
- 미루 씨에게 개는 애완동물일뿐더러 소중한 친구이기도 해요. (To Miru, dogs are not only pets but also precious friends.)
- 가정 생활이 어려운 아이들에게 선생님은 선생님일뿐더러 멘토예요. (To students who have hard home lives, teachers are not only teacher but also mentors.)
I hope you found this post useful! As always, happy studying~